Loyalsock Township M.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Loyalsock Township M.S.

This forum was created by Mr. Nathan Weaver for Mrs. Bomboy's 8th grade math class at Loyalsock Township Middle School.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2

Go down 
+3
ltmsCCampana
ltmsAIsaacson
MrWeaver
7 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWeaver
Admin

Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Empty
PostSubject: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 12:41 pm

Access the article "The History of the Lottery" by clicking here: http://www.lottobuster.com/articles/060307.html

Respond by clicking "post reply" above. Make sure you are first logged in under your own account.

Your response should include:

- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from either Ancient, Medieval, or Colonial Times (1st sentence).

- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from Early Modern Times (2nd sentence).

- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from Modern Times (3rd sentence).

- Write at least one sentence about how you feel about what you learned (4th sentence).

- There should be a total of at least four sentences.
Back to top Go down
https://ltms.forummotion.com
ltmsAIsaacson

ltmsAIsaacson

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 4:17 pm

I think the most interesting fact from Colonial Times was that Benjamin Franklin used lotteries to finance cannons for the Revolutionary War. Benjamin used his lottery wins to help the American Army during a hard time. I think the most interesting fact from Early Modern Times was that in the Civil War there was 50 colleges, 300 school,and 200 churches made by lotteries. How cool is that! People were able get themselves educated at a school that was funded by a lotteries, and some of the school are Invy leage collages today.I think the Most interesting fact from Modern Times was that Irish sweeptakes were launched with great success in the American and Candian markets because of the abolition of lotteries in these countries. The only I chose this fact was because I'm Irish and I reallt like to hear good facts that involve Ireland. I think it was fun to learn good facts about lotteries, it also was interesting to learn how far lotteries go back.
Back to top Go down
ltmsCCampana

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 7:05 pm

I think the most interesting fact that i read was from the Colonial times. It said that our founding fathers used the lottery a lot. Thomas Jefferson, $80,000 in debt used the lottery to dispose of the bulk of his property. I thought that was very interesting and it shows the lottery really does come in handy and can be used in so many different ways.

In Early Modern Times i thought the most interesting thing i read was that twenty-four of the 33 states financed civic improvements such as courthouses, jails, hospitals, orphanages, and libraries through lotteries. I think that is so amazing. They really relied on the lottery and it helped a lot of people in so many ways. They just build and made improvements on all of those things from the lottery.

The most interesting fact i read from Modern Times was, New York became the second state to attempt a lottery. I think that is awesome. We're so close to New York too and it's really cool to think that that was the second place the lottery was actually attempted!

I learned so much from all of those facts. It really amazing me that kinds of things that lottery could do for our nation and people. I do believe a lot of people rely on it and it helps so much!
Back to top Go down
ltmsKDuffield

ltmsKDuffield

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:52 pm

well i thought the most intresting fact was that many of the founding fathers sposored lotteries. like when benjaminn franklin made lotteries to help finance cannons for the revolutonary war. Another is that John Handcok made a lottery to rebuild a historic faneuil hall. one more are when George Washington made a lotery to help finance the construction of the mountain road, which helped open westward expansion. well the most intreasting event from early modern times is that 50 colleges, 300 schools and 200 churches were were built from lottery. some inclueded universities like Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia were funded by loteries. the most intresting event from modern times is that 87% of all people who visted Las Vegas in 1996 gambled. on average those gamblers gambled 4 hours per day. 68% of the people who gamble play the slot machines most often. also America's gambling habit has grown from approximately $80 billion a year in 1986 to $500 billion in 1995. well i think it was really intreasting to learn about our past with gambling and our relationship with gamebling now.
Back to top Go down
ltmsGGirio

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 9:43 pm

As I read through the Ancient, Medieval, and Colonial Times, I found one interesting event in all three. From Ancient Times, forms for lotteries date back to Caesar. In the Medieval Times, six names were drawn for election to the Senate in Genoa, Italy and that later the names were changed to numbers. During the Colonial Times, Thomas Jefferson, who was $80,000 in debt at the end of his life, used a lottery to dispose of the bulk of his property. I think those were the most interesting events. From Early Modern Times, twenty-four of the 33 states financed improvements such as orphanages, hospitals, jails, courthouses, and libraries through lotteries, which I think was the most interesting event from that time. From the Modern Times, I think the most interesting event was when the Delaware State Lottery began taking bets on National Football League games. The NFL lost a legal battle to ban this type of wagering so the Sports Lottery was abandoned after 14 weeks. After reading over all the information from the website, there were a lot of things that I hadn't known about the lottery. I'm very glad that I learned about the lottery and have some knowledge towards it now.
Back to top Go down
ltmsSKlingerman

PostSubject: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 10:23 pm

I think that the most interesting fact from the medival times is that in 1515, six names were drawn for election to the Senate in Genoa, Italy; later the names were changed to numbers. The word "lottery" is believed to come from the Italian word "lotto", meaning destiny or fate. Its interesting to see how far back it went and where the word "lottery" came from. Something interesting from the early modern times is that in 1790 to the Civil War, fifty colleges, 300 schools and 200 churches were erected with lottery proceeds. Most notably, universities such as Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia were funded by lotteries. It shows that lotterys have been used a lot. In modern times, something interesting is that in 2006, a new record for thee largest lottery jackpot in history is won by a lotto pool of 8 Nebraskans who will share a $365 million jackpot. Its really surprising to see how much the price has gone up over the years. This imformation from this passage has been very interesting to learn. I never knew that lotteries have been used that much.
Back to top Go down
ltmsJMackey

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 19, 2008 8:02 pm

I think that the most interesting thing about the lottery was that King Francis I of France authorized a lottery to replace depleted funds in the treasury. Ironically many of these funds had been flowing to foreign lotteries. Another interesting thing that I thought everyone should know about is that Queen Elizabeth I established the first English State lottery. And if you won you would win prizes including cash, plate, and tapestry, with 400,000 tickets offered for sale all over England. One thing that I think is interesting from early modern times is that in the 1790's during the civil war fifty colleges, 300 schools and 200 churches were created with lottery proceeds. The most remembered colleges that were built were, Harvard, Yale, Princeton and Columbia all of these coleges were funded by lotteries. Also one thing that I thought was very interesting from modern was that Massachusetts offered the first scratch-off ticket. One interesting thing about it is that the scratch-off ticket is one of the most commonly played games in the lottery world. In all I feel that the lottery has played a giant part in the world as we know it and is still helping people to this day. For example if our founding fathers hadn’t played the lottery and won who knows what America would be like or if it would even be called America.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Assignment for April 17, 2008 - History of Gaming 2
Page 1 of 1