Loyalsock Township M.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Loyalsock Township M.S.

This forum was created by Mr. Nathan Weaver for Mrs. Bomboy's 8th grade math class at Loyalsock Township Middle School.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1

Go down 
+13
ltmsDWahl
ltmsCBieber
ltmsTHarris
ltmsMKinney
ltmsCCampana
ltmsEHaller
ltmsSKlingerman
ltmsSLepore
ltmsGGirio
ltmsSUnderdown
ltmsJWehler
ltmsJEggerton
MrWeaver
17 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWeaver
Admin

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Empty
PostSubject: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:47 pm

Access the website here: http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1099&p=lastpage&a=1

Respond to the article by clicking "post reply" above.

In your response, answer the following questions:

Name one major difference between games in Yemeni culture and American culture (first sentence) and one major similarity (second sentence). In the third sentence, write what you think about these similarities and differences.

There should be a total of three sentences.

Please e-mail me with any difficulties or questions at nweaver@loyalsocklancers.org.
Back to top Go down
https://ltms.forummotion.com
ltmsJEggerton

PostSubject: response   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:39 pm

They have games according to age and gender, ours are not like that. Anybody can participate. I think that learning this was very fun.
Back to top Go down
ltmsJWehler

PostSubject: homework   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm

A big difference between the Yemeni and us is that it is rare for boys and girls to play together but here anyone can play. They can also refuse to let different genders play with each other. i don't think that it is fair. A major similarity is that they play games with balls and so do we. I like our way better and i don't think their way is better afro

Last edited by ltmsJWehler on Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ltmsSUnderdown

PostSubject: Spencer Underdowns response   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:45 pm

I think one major difference between are games and theirs , is that our games often involve more talent. You cant just keep on getting lucky all the time. Also a similarity is that almost all of the time in sports girls and guys do not play on one team. I think that its better to have talent than luck and its better if just guys play on one team. Unless the girl is very athletic.
Back to top Go down
ltmsGGirio

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 pm

One major difference between games in Yemeni culture and American culture is that young girls from Yemen consider jump rope a sport and they call it "Nata Al-Habel." The rules there for the children games doesn't mean that they have to win or lose and they also go by the child's ability and skill. One major similarity between games in each of our cultures is that some games depend on competition, with each team fighting to be better. I think that differences between our games can show how we can be unique and creative with them, so it's a good thing to not always have everything similar.
Back to top Go down
ltmsSLepore

PostSubject: Steven Lepore   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:46 pm

One important difference is that in that culture they do games about their culture. A similiar thing about both is that no matter what a lot of people play a lot of the same games all over the world. And about both is they both could be the kinds of games that people all over like to play the same kinds of games all over. And a lot of games are the same in todays time.
Back to top Go down
ltmsSKlingerman

PostSubject: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:47 pm

One main difference between Yemeni culture and American culture is that Yemeni children’s games can be divided into different types according to gender, age, environment, the players’ culture, etc. In American we could divided them if we wanted too but we usually wouldn't. One main similarity between the two cultures is that children’s games have special rules for each game and it’s sometimes difficult to determine how such play will progress or who, if anyone, will win. I think that the similarities and differences are very interesting between the cultures.
Back to top Go down
ltmsEHaller

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm

One of the major differences between our games is that they have different games for girls and boys and our games are normaly for both! However one of the major similarities is that we both have games like jump rope ((even though they have a different name for it)) and there are also alot of games for guys that have to do with strength! Those are some of the similarities and differences between our games and theres!
Back to top Go down
ltmsCCampana

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:48 pm

I feel that the Yemeni culture and the American culture ways of playing games are similar and different. One way they are different is that in the first culture the boys and girls dont play together for very long. At a certain age they stop playing together. In the American culture the kids get very competetive and the boys and girls play together. One way they are similar is because they both play cards, and dice, and jump rope.
I feel the way they are different makes them very unique. If they were the same games and they played the same way then it would get boring and you wouldn't learn anything new. So, that is what i think of the differences and similarities of the two cultures.
Back to top Go down
ltmsMKinney

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:49 pm

The people in Yemeni divide there games between girls and boys. In America boys play stronger and more physical games just like in Yemeni. I think that all little boys and girls should be able to play together if they want. alien
Back to top Go down
ltmsTHarris

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:49 pm

In Yemeni's traditinal games they sometimes do not allow current genders to play current games but in Americans culture in games we do allow all genders play all games, so that is one major diffrence. One simmilarity between the two are that they are very competitive and winning is important to them as well as it is to us. I feel that in Yemeni it is not fair to separate the males from the females. But I think it is always good to be competitive and want to win! What a Face
Back to top Go down
ltmsTHarris

In Yemeni's traditinal games they sometimes do not allow current genders to play current games but in Americans culture in games we do allow all genders play all games, so that is one major diffrence. One simmilarity between the two are that they are very competitive and winning is important to them as well as it is to us. I feel that in Yemeni it is not fair to separate the males from the females. But I think it is always good to be competitive and want to win! What a Face
Back to top Go down
ltmsCBieber

Yemeni calture and American calture games are different because they do things differently. Some games can be divided by gender, age, environment, the players' calture and etc. Some Yemeni games classify as boys' games or girls' games. In America guys and girls can both play games together, unless they choose not to. We don't normally divide games by gender, age or anything else like that.

They also are the same because some boys' games Yemeni have and the games Americans play are both very violent and afford much effort. Some involve skills too. Another thing is some games are played for competition.
Back to top Go down
ltmsDWahl

The Yemeni people play games according to gender, age, environment, and the players culture, but us Americans don't play games based on that. Some of the Yemeni peoples games are competitive with each team fighting to be better, and here we do the same thing. There games are a lot different then ours and i think ours are more competitive. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ltmsAIsaacson

ltmsAIsaacson

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 pm

One major difference between American and Yemeni is that our games both involve boy and girls. Yemeni games only involve girls and some only boys. One major similarity is that the both let kids be expressive, get the children be active and create valuable friendships.All children love to have fun and be expressive.
Back to top Go down
ltmsHWomeldorf

PostSubject: Heidi Womeldorf   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 3:50 pm

One major difference between the games in the Yemeni culture and the American culture is that they are basically all based on your gender, and since their are gender typed games, the boys' games are more violent, and require much more effort than the girls' games. A major similarity is that their games show the uniqueness of the child and how they play. I think that it is very cool how we're different just by the matter of different games, I find it very interesting!

Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
ltmsJMackey

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:07 pm

As I was reading the passage i noticed a few similarities and a few differences which i will be explaning to you in the following sentences. I will first be telling you about a major difference i noticed in the Yemeni culture compared to ours. The major difference that i noticed was that child psychologist Najat Sa’em siad that the children of the tribes act mostly like thier parents do. For example the boys in the tribes act like thier fathers by playing a little rougher and the girls act more like thier mothers by wanting to play more peaceful games than thier brothers or male friends. This is qiute different from the american culture because boys and girls both play with each other, not depending on what thier parents do for fun. So in our culture parents dont influence children to play certian games with other girls or others boys. Now i will be telling you about a similarity between the Yemeni cuture of playing games and our culture. One similarity that i noticed was that in both cultures games are mainly based on the players skills, strength, and strive to win the game. So i would say that this could be said about any culture no matter where you go that thier will always be similarities and differences between the ways we play our games. geek
Back to top Go down
ltmsPKoch

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 1:43 pm

differences:
The differences are that there games are games that only girls or only
boys can play or games that only boys can play or games that boys and girls can play.
And are games boys or girls can play.

similarities:
are that they have the same games as us except for that there games have different names
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1
Page 1 of 1