Loyalsock Township M.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Loyalsock Township M.S.

This forum was created by Mr. Nathan Weaver for Mrs. Bomboy's 8th grade math class at Loyalsock Township Middle School.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1

Go down 
+11
ltmsAMalee
ltmsAAllen
ltmsSThomas
ltmsMBausinger
ltmsAMulhern
ltmsAReddy
ltmsBGardner
ltmsRSchrimp
ltmsDEdmonds
ltmsDGray
MrWeaver
15 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWeaver
Admin

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Empty
PostSubject: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Access the website here: http://yementimes.com/article.shtml?i=1099&p=lastpage&a=1

Respond to the article by clicking "post reply" above.

In your response, answer the following questions:

Name one major difference between games in Yemeni culture and American culture (first sentence) and one major similarity (second sentence). In the third sentence, write what you think about these similarities and differences.

There should be a total of three sentences.

Please e-mail me with any difficulties or questions at nweaver@loyalsocklancers.org.
Back to top Go down
https://ltms.forummotion.com
ltmsDGray

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:04 pm

I think that the biggest difference between the two countries game cultures is that in Yemeni culture games are divided into boys and girls games. Here in America we can play with who ever we what.

A major similarity between the two countries is that we both what to win and that there is huge competition between the two apposing teams.

There are allot of similarities and differences in the culture of games between America and Yemeni. But after all we are two different countries on two different continents.
Back to top Go down
ltmsDEdmonds

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:05 pm

One major difference between the Yemeni children’s games and American children games are that the Yemeni games are divided into different types according to gender, age, and the players culture. One major similarity is that both American and Yemeni games are very important to children and many are played using a ball. I think the difference is very surprising because they kids don't really have a chance to play games that involve the girls against the guys or having both on the same team. The similarity is important though because n any culture games are an important part for children, it helps them learn to et along with each other and can build patience and skills.
Back to top Go down
http://myspace.com/oooemmgeee
ltmsRSchrimp

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 1:21 pm

The similarities between the 2 cultures games are that there games depend on the age of the children and the differences is that one culture lets boys and girls play together in some games but the other culture doesn't. I think it makes sense because it's what they believe in to their culture. - Ryan Schrimp
Back to top Go down
ltmsBGardner

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:12 pm

One major difference between Yemeni games and American games is that Yemeni children after puberty they aren't allowed to play games together and American children are. One major similarity is that Yemeni have games that only boys can play and ones that only girls can play just like in America where there are games that are made for girls and ones that are made for boys. I think that the differences make a little bit of sense because girls and guy have different intrests and they might not want to play the same games but I the should have a choice whether to play together or not.
Back to top Go down
ltmsAReddy

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 5:47 pm

drunken One difference between the two cultures is that the Yemeni games Razz are divided by gender, age,and the players' culture, but the difference is that the American Culture doesn't divide the games under these circumtances. cherry One similarity between the two culture's according to their country is that both countries can play different games according to their environment, because different parts of the countries' climate can change, therefore making it hard to play specific games clown their culture made up for a certain type of environment. cat I think the cultures the 2 countries maintain are similar and different Like a Star @ heaven , making the customs and the diverse games unique in their own ways. cheers
Back to top Go down
ltmsAMulhern

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 6:11 pm

One difference is that the Yemini seperate the boys and girls after puberty. One similarity is that boys compete for streghng and ability. I think that the boys and the girls should and should not be seperated.
Back to top Go down
ltmsMBausinger

ltmsMBausinger

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 7:28 pm

One difference is that in Yemeni they decide the people you play with by their culture and such. One similarity is that they also play games of chance using dice just like we do. I think that the diffrence could be considered discrimination against race or beleifs while the similarity makes them no different then us finding ammusement in board games.
Back to top Go down
ltmsSThomas

ltmsSThomas

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 8:02 pm

One difference that I found was how the Yemeni children usually aren't allowed to play with the opposite gender. That's not too fair. And a similarity between the Yemeni's and us are how they play jump rope and so do we as well as rolling dice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aelisreturns
ltmsAAllen

ltmsAAllen

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 9:12 pm

Our games compared to their games are quite simular. We too have games that aquire girls and boys playing different games. Men ( Twisted Evil ) play football and girls( flower ) are ballarinas. We are also very different in some ways too. One is that we arent divided into groups (age, environment, culture, etc.) That would be sooooo Cool (cool) to play their games! lol!
~Alexa~
me = Razz
Back to top Go down
ltmsAMalee

PostSubject: Culture/games   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 pm

Wow, There are so many differences. Well, the major difference to me is that Boys and girls are not allowed to play together. It seems quite extraordinary to me because its just the way things are in America that girls and boys play together I guess I just never really realized that it was so different in other countries. The big similarity to me is that boys play to show off there strength and that to them, just like the boys in America, it's all about competition and winning. Typical boys. ha.
I think that these similarities mark our cultures for what they are :different. They open your eyes to how things are in other countries and intrigue you to find out more. The similarities make me think that boys are the same no matter where you go and that we should take a class trip to Yemen so the boys can all play together!
xoxo Alison Malee
Smile
Back to top Go down
ltmsEMcmullen

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2008 10:26 pm

One major difference I noticed about games from the Yemeni culture was that they classify their games for kids either boy games or girl games. In the American culture we don't really have games where girls and boys don't play together. One similarity I noticed from the passage was that the boys played mainly for competition. Boys in the American culture are very competitive and it seems like they are just as competitive as they are in the American culture. I think the difference I picked out should not happen to those kids. Because it might start out with just little games but when their older who knows what kind of beliefs or differences that will occur. Then finally the the similarity isn't always a good thing either. It's not always about who wins or loses, and I don't think that's a good habbit for a kid to learn at a young age. These are my thoughts on the similarities and differences I chose from the passage.

-Emily McMullen Very Happy
vote me for bonus!!
Back to top Go down
MrsBomboy
Admin
MrsBomboy

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 10:10 am

One interesting difference is, of course, that boys and girls are not permitted to play games together once they reached puberty. However, this holds true somewhat for the US in that boys and girls are often divided into gender specific teams after a certain age. A

A similarity would be that as children are observed playing games anywhere, one can learn a great deal about the child. Games, in general, also provide children with similar opportunities to learn life skills no matter who they are playing with.
Back to top Go down
ltmsMWeber

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 11:48 am

Today it is rare to see boys and girls playing together, especially after a certain age. Because people these days think there is just a boys sport, or just a girls sport. Boys are proud of their strength and don't want girls to look better than them at the sport. Sometimes there are girls and boys sports combined though for co-ed sports. And back then they used to do that a lot. I think things have changed a lot from back then to now. And i think that boys and girls shouldn't compete in sports because one thinks they're better than the other.

-Micaela Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ltmsCGray

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2008 9:00 pm

[b] There, a lot of the games are organized by gender and stuff, while here, most games are open to all people.
We are the same because the games that guys play here are mostly about strenght and beating each other with muscle power, just like they do.

[u]I think that we shouldn't be judged by our gender, and I like how must people here have excluded the gender factor, but as far as the difference, I'm not really sure.

CRYSTAL**
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1   Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Assignment for April 15, 2008 - Games from other cultures 1
Page 1 of 1