Loyalsock Township M.S.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Loyalsock Township M.S.

This forum was created by Mr. Nathan Weaver for Mrs. Bomboy's 8th grade math class at Loyalsock Township Middle School.

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2

Go down 
+7
ltmsMBausinger
ltmsMWeber
ltmsAMalee
ltmsCEisenhart
ltmsAReddy
ltmsAAllen
MrWeaver
11 posters
AuthorMessage
MrWeaver
Admin

Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Empty
PostSubject: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 12:40 pm

Access the article "The History of the Lottery" by clicking here: http://www.lottobuster.com/articles/060307.html

Respond by clicking "post reply" above. Make sure you are first logged in under your own account.

Your response should include:

- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from either Ancient, Medieval, or Colonial Times (1st sentence).
- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from Early Modern Times (2nd sentence).

- Choose what you think is the most interesting event from Modern Times (3rd sentence).

- Write at least one sentence about how you feel about what you learned (4th sentence).

- There should be a total of at least four sentences.
Back to top Go down
https://ltms.forummotion.com
ltmsAAllen

ltmsAAllen

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 3:28 pm

In the colonial times i thought it was cool that George Washington used the lottery to build the mountain roads. It helped create westward expansion. For the Earley Modern times Canada made a law to ban all types of games. But the law failed. In the Modern Times Massachusetts made the first scrach-off ticket. I think this project was kinda cool. I enjoyed it, i guess.

Alexa = Razz

geek tongue Razz sunny flower albino cherry santa rendeer
Back to top Go down
ltmsAReddy

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 4:18 pm

Suspect The most interesting event in the Colonial times is when Benjamin Franklin used
lotteries to finance cannons for the Revolutionary War. I liked this part and a
few other events that had to do with the founding fathers. I liked those events
in the Colonial times because today many people play the lottery to earn money
for themselves and their family, but our FOUNDING FATHERS gave up their money
that they won in the lottery for the country (the things that needed to be
fixed). They put others before themselves and that's what I liked.
rendeer My
favorite event in the Early Modern times is the when lottery is held in
England for the establishment of the British Museum. I liked that event because the money is used for a good cause. Basketball My favorite event from the Modern times in 1970 when New Jersey started a state lottery. Tickets were 50 cents for a weekly drawing. I like this part because the tickets were cheaper then the year 2008's tickets, and people who were in need for money might have a greater chance of winning. This is the case because they will have more money to invest in less expensive tickets. Therefore, they will have more tickets, bringing them a greater chance of winning. pig I am amazed about what I've learned because now I have some backround information on how the lottery developed. bounce
Back to top Go down
ltmsCEisenhart

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 6:10 pm

I think the most interesting is in teh Anicient time where lottery helped finance the constuction of the Great Wall of China. The most interesting thing from the Early Modern times is that the lottery was authorized to fund money for the Colonial Army. The most interesting event from the modern times is when the largest lottery jack pot was won in 2006. I feel that the lottery had many great impacts in the history of the world. study
Back to top Go down
ltmsAMalee

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:20 pm

In the colonial times, I found it very thrilling that Ben Franklin played the lottery. Because most of the time in America, playing the lottery is looked down upon. So Its different to see one of the most important men in history playing. The most intriguing thing to me from early modern is that they used lotteries to authorize raising money for the Colonial Army. I never would have guessed! Next, from the Modern times I thought that it was very different that New York became the second state to attempt a lottery. When I think of New York I think of everything starting there. So it was weird to know that NOT everything started there in the old days. I am very glad I read this article. I learned a lot about the history of the lottery, and now I can quiz my family!
xoxo Alison Malee study
Back to top Go down
ltmsMWeber

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 8:49 pm

I thought it was cool that George Washington used the lottery to build the mountain roads.The most interesting event in the Colonial times is when Benjamin Franklin used lotteries to finance cannons for the Revolutionary War. They put others before themselves.My favorite event in the Early Modern times is the when lottery is held in England for the establishment of the British Museum. I liked that event because the money is used for a good cause. My favorite event was when New Jersey started a state lottery. I like this part because the tickets were cheaper then the year 2008's tickets. This is the case because they will have more money to invest in less expensive tickets.They will have more tickets, which will give them a greater chance of winning.

-Micaela Weber Wink
Back to top Go down
ltmsMBausinger

ltmsMBausinger

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 9:52 pm

I think it is intresting that in colonial times George Washington used the lottery to build the moutain roads. In Early modern times it is interesting how the united states banned all gambling and lotteries until 60 years later. In modern times I think the most interesting thing is that in 2000 the largest lottery jackpot was a record $363 million. I enjoyed it because I never knew what the record high jackpot was.
Back to top Go down
ltmsEBloiso

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 11:34 pm

The most interesting thing about lotteries in ancient times was that the huns used lotteries to finance the great wall. the most interesting thing about early modern lotteries is that in 1726 the netherlands started what is now the oldest lottery still in operation. the most interesting thing about lotteries in modern times is that in 1794 massachusets offered the first scratch off ticket. How i feel about leraning this is that i dont really care about lotteries beacuse im never really going to need to know all this stuff.
Back to top Go down
ltmsTMarshall

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 12:55 am

I liked the part where it talked about how Benjamin Franklin used to Lottery to finance cannons in the Revolutionary War. It was also really cool how the lottery helped finance the Great Wall of China! Even in the Bible the soldiers had a lottery in which they cast lots for Jesus's garments. It was cool that they used the lottery so long ago. So it was just really interesting to read about something I never would have known before reading this article.
Back to top Go down
ltmsSThomas

ltmsSThomas

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 18, 2008 8:25 am

I think the most interesting in the Anicient times were how the lottery was used to finance the Great Wall of China. The most interesting thing from the Early Modern times is that the Colonial Army got money from the lottery. The most interesting event from the modern times is when in 2006. I feel that people had a lot of fun and benefitted from the lottery a lot.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/aelisreturns
ltmsEMcmullen

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 10:04 pm

I thought the most interesting information out of the 3 time periods is that in Medieval world Lotteries were held in Belgium to build chapels, almshouses, canals and port facilities. That seems like a very interesting and beneficial way to use prize money. The most interesting fact out of the Early modern lotteries in my eyes was that all states except Louisiana prohibit lotteries, either by statute or in their constitution. I chose this because I wonder why Louisiana doesn't prohibit them. Lastly, the most interesting fact I took out of the Modern lotteries was that Lottery sales surpassed $1 billion for the first time. I chose this because I think it's amazing how many people will buy tickets and have a 1 and a million chance of winning. Those are the things I thought were most interesting in the that website and why I thought it.

SEE YA TOMMOROW!!
Laughing Very Happy Smile Wink
-Emily
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2   Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Assignment for April 17 2008: The History of Gaming 2
Page 1 of 1